mattries37315

Progress: 442/1020 pages
The Prophecies of Daniel and the Revelation
Uriah Smith
Progress: 334/830 pages
Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Karen Karbiener, Walt Whitman
Progress: 28/960 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 344 out of 709 pages.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) -  Arthur Conan Doyle, Kyle Freeman

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

"The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle"

I remember seeing the Jeremy Brett adaptation of this story, so I knew the resolution already.  However, actually reading the story for the first time makes me understand why I found the adaptation a great watch because the story it as based on was a very good one.

4 STARS

"The Adventure of the Speckled Band"

Sir Arthur's favorite Holmes story, after reading it I understand why he liked it.  The mysteriousness of the first victims death as well as a host of potential killers that creates numerous the story can end that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat.  The resolution at the end of a night time stakeout is good, but it is a bit confusing which takes away the impact.

4 STARS

"The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb"

A patient that has lost his thumb has a story Watson knows will intrigue Holmes, he brings the man to his friend and listen as the man gives the tale about how he lost his thumb.  While the man's story is engaging, the overall story just wasn't up to anything I've previously read.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

2 1/2 STARS