mattries37315

Progress: 202/475 pages
500 Years of Protest and Liberty: From Martin Luther to Modern Civil Rights
Nicholas Patrick Miller
Progress: 94/192 pages
Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Karen Karbiener, Walt Whitman
Progress: 125/960 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 313 out of 1020 pages.

Edgar Allan Poe: Complete tales and poems - Edgar Allan Poe

How to Write A Blackwood Article

My rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Signora Psyche Zenobia meets Mr. Blackwood to learn how to write his type of entertaining articles and afterwards goes and follows his advice to write an article.  While the first part of the story was funny and entertaining, the second half just wasn’t because Psyche was too literal in following Blackwood’s advice.

The Devil in the Belfry

My rating: 1.5 out of 5 stars

This story is about a Dutch small town, with a really long name, with a big clock that is always on time.  Then one day stranger walks into the clock tower, assaults the bell-ringer, and then suddenly beginning banging the bell whenever he wants and how many times he wants.  Great descriptions at the beginning, but when the plot happens at the end it was pretty obvious what the stranger was going to do.

The Man That Was Used Up

My rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

A man meets a famous general, but doesn’t know the details about the general’s campaign against the Bugaboo and Kickapoo Indians.  The man goes around town to all his friends and acquaintances to learn about the general, but the conversations always turn away from the opening.  Finally the man goes to the general’s residence and finds the man is literally “used up. “

The Fall of the House of Usher

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Unfortunately the ending was ruined by the individual that had written the collection’s introduction and even though I was looking for foreshadowing, this was a nicely paced and suspenseful story.  The climax of the story will stick in your mind and might have (and will in the future) inspired numerous scenes in stories, plays, and movies since.