mattries37315

James White
Gerald Wheeler
The Guide for the Perplexed
Moses Maimonides
Earth, Air, Fire, Water (Tales from the Eternal Archives, #2)
Jane Lindskold, Linda P. Baker, Tanya Huff, Margaret Weis, Carrie Channell, Edward Carmien, Mark Garland, Nancy Varian Berberick, Robyn McGrew, Janet Pack, Jean-Francois Podevin, Bruce Holland Rogers, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Donald J. Bingle, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Lawren

Reading progress update: I've read 493 out of 1020 pages.

Edgar Allan Poe: Complete tales and poems - Edgar Allan Poe

The Pit and the Pendulum

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

A man in the clutches of the Spanish Inquisition in locked in a cell with a pit in the center of it and after avoiding falling in, he is drugged and strapped to a bed as a razor slowly descends towards him.  Barely escaping the razor, the man wonders what will be next when he hears the French entering Toledo to bring him freedom.  This is a fantastic piece of writing by Poe that had me glued to each page while reading.

The Mystery of Marie Roget

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars

A “ripped from the headlines” Auguste Dupin deduction mystery is unfortunately not as engaging as the first Dupin story.  This story is mostly Dupin using his deduction to undermine all the theories that newspapers were putting out about the young ladies death, while it was good writing but sometimes in a detective story—yes even before the word was created—you want to see the main characters move.